In order to send and receive email using Microsoft Outlook application, you need to setup your account as described below:
- Start Microsoft Outlook application. Click the Tools menu and select Account Settings.
- On the E-mail tab, click New.
- Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:
- Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
- E-mail Address: Enter your full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Password: Enter your email password.
- Manually configure server settings or additional server types: Select this check box and click Next.
- Server Information
- Account Type: Select POP3 or IMAP
- Incoming & Outgoing mail server: You can obtain this information from your Webmail interface and then going to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP settings. To access your Webmail interface, you can use the URL of the form http://webmail.yourdomainname.com. Here, you would need to login with your email address and the corresponding password.
- Login Information
- User Name: Enter your full username (same as your email address)
- Password: Enter your email password
- Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): Leave this option unchecked.
Usually, the port used for the Outgoing Mail Server/SMTP Service is 25. However, there might be a situation where your ISP (such as TM Streamyx and Unifi) might be blocking the use of port 25 for SMTP service. Many ISPs block port 25 in order to minimize the amount of spam sent using their network. If you are facing issues sending mails using the default port 25, you can confirm with your ISP whether port 25 is indeed blocked by them.
To circumvent this, you can use an alternate port 587 for sending mails if port 25 is blocked. Here's how:
- In the Tools menu select Options -> Mail Setup and click Email Accounts
- Select your account and click Change above the list of accounts
- Click More Settings and then the Advanced tab
- In the Outgoing server(SMTP) field replace the default port number 25 with the alternate port number 587
- Click Ok -> Next -> Finish -> Close and then Ok to save the changes